This patch changes the attacks of artillery:
* Splash damage is removed from bolt shooters, stone throwers, onagers, quinqueremes, bolt towers and artillery towers.
* Attack damage is significantly raised in compensation.
* Bolt shooters and bolt towers inflict only pierce damage, no crush.
* Stone throwers, quinqueremes, and artillery towers inflict only crush damage, no pierce.
* Fireraiser inflicts all damage types equally (cf. fireship).
* Bolt shooters have lower minimum range and higher maximum range, making them more effective vs soldiers.
* Stone throwers, onagers, and quinqueremes have higher minimum range, making them less effective vs soldiers.
* Roman artillery no longer have +8 maximum range; the +10% attack damage at no extra cost is already a great bonus.
* Artillery and bolt towers have their minimum range increased (unlike archers, artillery can only shoot forwards or upwards, but not downwards).
* Fireraiser has increased minimum and maximum range, due to its long footprint.
* Preferred class:
* Artillery towers no longer prefer Human; instead, they prefer non-Organic (i.e. ships, siege engines, and structures equally).
* Bolt shooters no longer have a secondary preference for Siege.
* Artillery and bolt towers no longer get additional projectiles from garrisoned units.
[EDIT] For comparison the resulting damage per second values:
damage / time = damage per second
boltshooter : 300 pierce / 6 = 50
bolt tower : 100 pierce / 4 = 25
champion cavalry javelineer : 36 pierce / 1.25 = 28.8 [unchanged]
champion infantry javelineer : 26 pierce / 1 = 26 [unchanged]
basic cavalry javelineer : 18 pierce / 1.25 = 14.4 [unchanged]
basic infantry javelineer : 16 pierce / 1.25 = 12.8 [unchanged]
ram : 150 crush / 1.5 = 100 [unchanged]
stonethrower : 300 crush / 7.5 = 40
quinquereme : 200 crush / 5 = 40
onager : 200 crush / 5 = 40
artillery tower : 100 crush / 5 = 20
fireraiser : 30 + 30 + 30 / 2 = 45
fireship : 10 + 10 + 10 / 0.1 = 300 [unchanged]
Related: D2493, D2495, D2549.