D1761/rP22984 enabled the arsenal for all civs and removed siege engines and technologies from the fortress.
D2801/rP24470 enabled the stable for all civs and removed cavalry and chariots from the barracks and fortress.
D3362/rP24612 enabled the elephant stable for all civs with elephants and removed elephants from the fortress.
D3372/rP24640 introduced unlock champion cavalry and chariot technologies at the stable.
This patch removes champion infantry from the fortress.
The difficulty is that civs (athen, cart, pers, spart) that have specific structures to train their champion infantry at shouldn't be able to train them at the barracks (own or captured from other civs), and vice versa. To achieve this, it's necessary for them to have different file names.
Currently champion infantry file names are rather inconsistent (cf. D906). Originally civs had only one, hence champion_infantry.xml, but as more champions were added, names seemed to have been made up on the fly, e.g. champion_pikeman.xml, champion_infantry_pike.xml, champion_infantry_pikeman.xml.
For this patch to work it's necessary to rename the champion infantry files either for civs with barracks champions or for civs without. Although most civs get barracks champions, only a minority of champions are trainable at the barracks, since there are a great number of unused or maps-only units. Thus the easiest (and clearest) solution is to adopt a consistent naming scheme only for barracks champions, which is done:
champion_infantry_spearman champion_infantry_pikeman champion_infantry_maceman champion_infantry_axeman champion_infantry_swordsman champion_infantry_javelineer champion_infantry_slinger champion_infantry_archer
Champion infantry that's trained at other structures keep their haphazard names (e.g. champion_infantry.xml, champion_marine.xml, and champion_ranged.xml for Athens).
- It's no longer necessary to have extra *_barracks.xml templates, which are thus deleted, resulting in about a dozen fewer files.
- The “unlock champion units” technology is renamed to “unlock champion infantry” for consistency.
- The “unlock champion chariot” technology is added to the Seleucids, who have a chariot, which was overlooked in D3372/rP24640.
Not changed, could be adjusted later, if it turns out to be an issue:
- The Carthaginian infantry champion is still trained at the temple. The barracks would probably be better, but there are players who like it at the temple.
- The Seleucid unlock pikeman vs unlock swordsman technologies are still free. They have to choose one, whereas some other civs can have two or three infantry champions. Besides, the Seleucids have two non-free unlock technologies at the stable.