It feels a bit strange to me (no need to act on this comment) that units specifically trained for war require _more_ experience to get better.
The idea was rooted in trying to balance them better and doesn't really have any realism thought behind it. Starting on a higher rank gives them greater health and means they're more likely to survive until rank 3, for melee they also get greater attack and armor which means they'll get the next promotion more quickly + their foes will be dealing less damage to them thus getting less experience for their own promotions.
I honestly think mercs shouldn't promote at all. Leave that feature to citizen-soldiers.
Mar 7 2022
Feb 17 2022
it isn't really about the symmetry. for any formations with more than one line of same-class units, reassigning places and rotate are likely to give two different results for angles between pi/8 and pi/4.
Jan 16 2022
@alre I can make an executable for you to test but I think it would be more worthwile to understand why SVN doesn't compile for you.
idk how to test this. do I need to be able to compile stuff? because I'm not.
Jan 15 2022
@marder you can absolutely take the matter in your hands if you want. on my part, I don't intend to work on this anymore.
Dec 24 2021
Dec 6 2021
Dec 5 2021
the units on which acceleration looks better are rams. I don't know if it really makes sense to have acceleration in a game applied to rams, as they are usually displayed moving steadily, but some acceleration does look nice on them.
to me, unit motion actually seems more realistic without acceleration. of course another reason to not include it would be avoiding yet another game balance rework. maybe (just maybe) this feature could be a starting point for obtaining ships that realistically move on water, and horses that change gait, however at the moment it looks quite bad to me, for almost all units. I can't find template parameters that make the acceleration look worth it. AoE doesn't use unit acceleration, and that's for a reason.
Nov 1 2021
I can't find the diff that introduced "current behaviour", so I'll comment here. In current SVN revision, the following are broken/impossible:
- select a single unit from a formation
- split a formation into groups using rectangle selection
- select wounded units from a formation using O + rectangle selection
Oct 11 2021
- The column thing is nice, but they move into it too quick, maybe increasing the distance for that satisfies both camps?
Oct 10 2021
Thanks for the patch: here is some quick review, to help you improve the patch:
Please add extra context (as stan requests), this will easy reviewing a lot.
Please add yourself to the programming.json, that way you will be in the credits.
As I see it, this patch does two things:
- It computes new positions when big turns and sets the rotation based on the position, instead of unit rotation.
- It removes the column switch behaviour.
- This sounds like a good idea, though it needs to be configurable what "sharp" means (it might differ from shape to shape)
- There surely was a good reason to add it back in the days (https://wildfiregames.com/forum/topic/13726-formations/, #13), not sure if we need to remove this.
Please try to limit the amount of unnecessary changed (moving function around and stuff). Smaller patch => quicker review