This patch is similar to several earlier patches:
- D1036/rP20682 separate champion maceman template.
- D1354 introduce maceman templates.
- D1355/rP23780 introduce axeman templates.
- D2595 separates elephant archer from cavalry templates.
This patch introduces crossbowman templates. Currently there is only in game, mace_champion_infantry_crossbowman.xml, but future additions are not inconceivable, and having the templates ready also removes the need to define them in individual mods (e.g. Han China).
As for the stats:
- The <Attack> stats are mostly taken from the existing crossbowman.
- The <MaxRange> is 60, nicely in between the slinger's (48) and archer's (72+).
- Because of its high <RepeatTime>, the <Pierce> damage is raised significantly, to keep the damage per second equal to the archer (6.7).
- Champions have double the damage of citizens, heroes double that of champions. This is also the case for other soldier types.
- Because of their higher <Projectile/Speed>, lower <Gravity> and <MaxRange>, and higher <Pierce> damage per shot, they're more precise than archers, and quite different.
- Citizens cost 30 wood + 20 metal, to differentiate them from archers, and for realism (crossbow bolts were made of metal).
- <WalkSpeed> is the same as support units and infantry heroes (i.e. inherited from template_unit.xml).
Because the mace crossbowman is neither trainable nor used in any maps, this patch does not affect gameplay balance.